The Perfect Day

Yesterday was a wonderful day. The kids were content, I was relaxed, and Ryan met up with us at 2pm. Couldn't ask for much better.
We have been with out a car for a week and a half. We've taken the bus to church, I've run with Josh in the jogging stroller to the grocery store, we've borrowed Catlin's double stroller (ours is in our car) to go to play at some parks, and we've stayed put at home. One thing I've realized is that we can still do a lot with out a car. The grocery store I go to is a little over 5 1/2 miles round trip, and what better way to get in a great work out, hang out with my buddy, and get groceries all at the same time than to jog there? Also, taking the bus to church took us 15 min. That's about 2 min longer than it takes us to drive there....that's what we'll be doing when we have visitors from now on.
That being said, I still feel a bit stranded with out a car. It's a lot more difficult to get around with two wee ones. Yesterday, I had had enough of that and borrowed Christy's double stoller (she drove it over to us, that was really really thoughtful) and headed on the bus, then ferry, to get to Manhattan. The boys and I went to Hecksher's Park, it's part of Central Park, and spent the whole day there. The boys loved it! They loved chasing after balls, digging in the sand, climbing around, and playing in the water. The weather was perfect; it was in the 70s with no humidity. When Ryan came, it just added that much more fun. Then to top it off, we grabbed some ice cream from a cart and watched part of a baseball game. Okay, it was a softball game. Ryan kept trying to tell Josh that it was a softball game because the ball was bigger, but Josh wasn't falling for it. He knew that ball was a baseball..."See it's a small ball, Dad? It's a baseball!" We headed home, had a quick dinner and bath, and put the kids down to bed. It was just what the doctor ordered.
I don't think I fully appreciate NYC. There aren't too many places that you can hop on a bus, then ferry, then subway to get to anywhere you want to go. There's so much history, shopping (not that I can afford it), great places to eat, an amazing park, great bridges, and the list goes on and on. So thank you, New York. I had a lovely day.

3 comments:

Ben and Anna said...

That world is just so foreign to me. someday, someday. :)

Megan said...

I love NYC. And I am so jealous that you get to live there. I am also impressed that you can jog home from the grocery store with all your groceries. Your stroller must have some serious storage. That, or we buy a lot more at the store. lol.

susan said...

Aw man, this made me think of how much I'm going to miss New York. I guess soon I'll have to get my NY fill by keeping up with your guys' blogs.