High School These Days

Weber High was in the news again: "Jessica Simpson is the prize for school's winning text effort".  While I totally understand 1800 kids wanting Jessica at their school, I can't even begin to comprehend how they achieved it.  Story.  Basically whichever Utah high school sent the most text messages to a country radio station would win.  Between these 1800 or so kids at Weber, there were 571,795 texts.  That equates to 318 per person.  Lowly Fremont High came in second with 324,633 texts.

You know, I don't feel like I've really been out of high school that long.  I'm still totally rad.  Scratch that, I'm bad.  I don't give high fives, I pound it.  I have Nikes that are very colorful (a trend that I don't think has even hit Utah).  I blog.  I use a Mac.  I live in New York City.  Napoleon Dynamite is one of the best movies ever made, and I can quote most of it.  Heck, I've even been to the Cuttin' Coral!  I'm nearly unbeatable playing tennis on the Wii.  I know all the words to the song from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.  I saw Anne Hathaway last week.  Need I say more?

That being said, I don't think I've ever sent 318 texts in an entire month.  And you know that the majority of those texts came from 20% of the students.  If that is the case, then each one had to send 1588 texts.  Word is that a couple students sent in the tens of thousands.  If that is what the cool kids are doing, I am such a loser!  Jessica Simpson or not, how can you physically send that many texts?

5 comments:

Megan said...

I don't know if your 'examples' of how you are still 'bad' really help your cause, minus knowing all the lyrics to Fresh Prince of Bel Air, of course. I saw a clip about this on the news and it was pretty funny to listen to the students brag. I think they were equally excited that Jessica Simpson was there as they were that they beat Fremont. LOL.

Ross' little sister (who is just out of high school) is on our family plan and we actually had to get unlimited text messages because she was spending sometime $30 extra just for texting - she would send close to 1,000 texts a month. While I don't send nearly that many, I do send close to 318. Maybe you need to get with it ;)

Lindsey said...

Brandon and I actually saw Jessica Simpson at the SLC airport the day before her appearance at Weber. We were wondering why she was in SLC!

Heidi said...

That is crazy! I can't imagine sending that many texts either, how is it possible to do anything else?

Stacy said...

It's funny that you posted about this because I was going to do a similar post. I was actually in Utah when I heard the news of Jess Simpson's performance. I was driving around listening to X96 when they started their "boner of the day" list. When the words of Weber High School and Jessica Simpson came into play, my ears quickly perked up. I could not stop laughing!! But the part that threw me over the edge was a quote from the PTA president. I can't remember word-for-word what she said, but she said something like "I am so glad that J.S. came to perform for our students because she is such a good role model. It gives them a chance to have some down time at school because we all know that they get stuck with a bunch of 'busy work' in class." And that, my friend, is how W.H.S. won the boner of the day award on X96.

Zach and Erika said...

ooh, you are bad!