Paraskavedekatriaphobia Anyone?

It means you have "a fear of Friday 13th". To be honest, I had a little Paraskavedekatriaphobia going on today myself. Mine wasn't so much due to the superstitions surrounding the day. It was more due to my aversion to thinking about anti-acetylcholinesterases, parasympathomimetic drugs & Catechol-O-methyl transferase. That's right, I had my first test in Pharmacology today. Not my idea of the best way to start off a Friday.

Being that it is Friday 13th, I thought I'd share some things about it that I learned on my way home from school today.

An aversion to the number 13 can in part be attributed to Norse mythology, as well as Christianity. I guess Judas was numbered the 13th guest at the Last Supper. In Norse mythology, the ever troublesome Loki killed Balder during a dinner party. Yes, he also was the 13th guest. Interestingly enough, Balder's mother was Frigga. One of the possible derivations of the term "Friday" comes from Frigga (Thanks to my 9th grade English class with Ms. Martin).

Friday is also the day that Christ was crucified. (Here's where it gets to be kind of a stretch) Some religeous scholars claim that the Flood started on a Friday, and that Adam & Eve ate the Forbidden Fruit on a Friday. Hmmm.... In classic literature, Friday is often referred to as an unlucky day, a la The Canterbury Tales (Thanks to my 10th grade Humanities class). Also, King Philip had all the Templar Knights throughout Europe arrested on October 13, 1307. You guessed it, it was a Friday.

How about the sports lovers out there? Dan Marino wore #13. Hall of Famer. Never won a Super Bowl. Alex Rodriguez wears #13. Hall of Famer*. Yankees haven't won the World Series since he came in 2004 (let alone been to the World Series). Also he's a cheater.

On a positive note: if you're a Jewish boy you get to have your Barmitzva at age 13!

4 comments:

Megan said...

How do you even remember stuff like that?! Mrs. Martin, Ms. Keim, and Mrs. Nicholls would be so proud.

Lori said...

Megan, I was so going to comment on the same thing. Ryan, I had forgotten you have photographic memory... dude I wish that was my case! Interesting theories though. something to chew on, for sure.

Ryan said...

Lori, you should remember all about The Canterbury Tales! Remember, we made a movie about them at your house! I was wearing a robe, and I think you were playing the violin or something.

Zach and Erika said...

wow, you are full of useless information. way to go. he he! :)