Sick days

Man, tis the season for being sick! Josh came down with the croup two Thursdays ago. When we put him to bed, he was just fine, but when we got him up at 10:30pm to go to the bathroom (love potty training), he was having a hard time breathing and couldn't talk. I called my mom, and we looked online, and all of his symptoms pointed to croup. So for that first night, Ry and I took turns sleeping with the little guy.....

Hahahahahaha. Okay. I just realized I already told this story in the last post. This makes a good point, though: I've been exhausted! Josh got sick, then Ry, then me, and then Carter.....Yes. The baby. Once the toddler and baby get sick, you can say goodbye to sleep. Carter's been waking up about three to four times a night. One night, he was fussy from 3:45am on. (I'm sure the moms with teeny new babies are just rolling their eyes right now). What can I do but go comfort my sick baby? I mean, I've gotten a dry throat at night, so I'm sure he has, and what can he do about it, besides cry for mom? (Which he does. Who can say no to "mama. mama. mama. mama."?)

This has led to us not doing much. Josh and Ryan stayed home from church the first week, then this past Sunday Carter, Josh and I stayed home. It was so. not. fair. Josh was going to go with Ryan until his cough came back and he had a fever. No rest for mom. I hope Ryan payed attention in church! Anyway, I've already learned to do with out eight hrs of sleep ever since I had our first born, but I've noticed that lack of sleep to this extent has caused me some problems, such as:

-Not being able to get out of the mall. I spent 20 mins. trying to remember what side of JC Penney I needed to get out of in order to get to our car. I couldn't even find the section we came in. Ever. So I went out one set of doors that looked familiar, since it was past bedtime at this point, and walked around the mall, outside, in the cold wind, to get to our car.
-Not calling my brother on his birthday. I've totally forgotten the calendar days, but still, that's a big deal to miss such a thing. He'll never turn 19 again! He's going to the Philippines on his mission, by the way. Good thing I got him a pilot hat for those cold nights in the Philippines! (Average temp. for the whole year is 88 degrees). :)
-Not being able to understand instructions. I was asked to give a talk at an "emergency preparedness" meeting this last Saturday. The Sis. who asked me to speak emailed me some information. I couldn't understand it at all, what the point was, or how it made sense to what I was speaking on. English is her second language, so I figured it was just difficult for her. Nope. She copied and pasted the info from the institute manual. I started to piece things together on the fourth read-through.
-Forgetting our downstairs friend's name. (It's Joseph, by the way) This is particularly embarrassing when you're good friends, and your talking to the friend's wife about him...I came up with it in a minute or so.
-Typing up a new blog post about the exact same thing you typed about in the last blog post. I was even thinking, "Oh, I've got to mention Halloween!"

I'm not the only tired one though, and once Ryan gets home to help me, I'll have video and pictures to prove it. :)

And as a side note, Ryan told me there is such a thing as a delete key, that I didn't have to leave my retold first paragraph in the post...but where's the fun in that?

4 comments:

Ben and Anna said...

I am sorry. Croup is just about the worst.

Aleisha said...

Haha! Katie this is defiantly one of those posts that should go down in posting hall of classics. Because it's so TRUE! You just described my life for the past I don't know how long. (being pregnant accounts for a lack of comfortable sleep so it fits here too--it didn't just start after he was born) I'm pretty sure I did the same thing with forgetting names too but I don't even remember who I was talking too. So anyways... fun times, always so exciting...

Megan said...

Lack of sleep causes way too many problems. And while I knew that becoming a mom would result in lack of the aforementioned sleep some days, I don't I realized how much I would lose and how bad I would miss it. lol. I hope you start feeling better soon!

Lori said...

i like this post for so so so many reasons.