Big boy

Joshua turned three years old. What a big boy! His birthday was on Friday, so Ryan and I switched our friends for babysitting co-op and had a birthday party for him with the kids. I wish we could've (or would've) invited more of his little friends but I don't think we could've handled more parentless kids, and I doubt the parents that don't do co-op would've wanted to hang out with a bunch of little kids on their Friday night (is this confusing?)... so we stuck with the co-op group. Anyway, the kids had fun, and Josh loved it. He surprised me when he willingly hugged and thanked all of his friends for their gifts, and he shared with all his new toys.

Funny story about his cakes. I told Josh the morning of his birthday I was going to make him a baseball cake. He was adamant against it, so I asked him what he wanted instead. He said he wanted a triangle cake with a big bunny on top...I asked about 5 times if that's what he wanted, and that morphed into him wanting a bunny cake. We looked online for bunny cake ideas, and we came across a video showing how to make these bunnies. We had to watch the video about three times for Josh, and he wanted the same color of bunnies as in the video. Thus Josh got pink and purple bunnies for his birthday cake.
Josh with his birthday presents.

Another funny story: The one thing Josh wanted for his birthday was Batman. He's never seen the show. We had a batman theme party, and Josh loved it. The morning of his birthday I asked him if he wanted me to find him a Batman show on the computer. He said, "No, Batman would scare me."

Still celebrating the birthday boy, we were planning on going to the beach on Saturday. Ryan tucked Josh into bed Friday night and came out saying Josh was refusing to go to the beach. I had my suspicions about Ryan coaxing Josh into not wanting to go :), but in the morning Josh was still adamant about not going. We ended up going to the Children's Museum, and although we've been there a number of times, Josh was still heartbroken when we had to leave. After that, we ran to Target to pick up cute pictures of the boys and then headed to KFC (per my request) and then to McDonalds. After dinner we headed home and played in the kiddie pool Josh got for his birthday. The water was cold and the boys were freezing, but they ,and Matthew, (Josh's "best friend" from downstairs...Josh has about five besties) loved it. All in all we had a fun day together as a family , and I think Josh has gotten the age of three all figured out.

Swinging in a hammock at the Children's Museum.

Josh giving us his fake smile.

The boys freezing in the kiddie pool.

7 comments:

Bianca said...

Happy Birthday Josh! I totally forgot that he and Bella are only a week or so apart. It seems so long ago when we were pregnant together, doesn't it!?

Megan said...

Oh to be three again. Anna is the most indecisive person in the world. You are nice to go along with it all. I only let her change her mind every so often or I will lose my mind. Sounds like a fabulous birthday.

Zach and Erika said...

I get the award for the worst aunt! Seriously, how could I forget little Josh's birthday? Maybe it's the remodeling we are doing, or the pregnancy. Are those good enough excuses? I am so sorry! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSH!!!

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Josh! I thought about him on his birthday. It sounds like a fun day, love the cakes!

Lori said...

happy birthday josh! he's so much bigger than when i started reading your blog. what a cute kid.

Zach and Erika said...

I just have to say (about Ryan teasing us about having girls) that I am not bothered at all when family teases because I know that they love my girls and just like to joke around. It's when people we hardly know say "you must be doing something wrong!" that I get mad. Our family is whatever it is...If we have 12 girls, that's what our family is supposed to be. (12 was a joke, I am sooooooo feeling done!)

Judy said...

I love the bunny cakes! It is so funny how kids know what they want and won't back down once they are determined. So cute!