Early Christmas Present!

We love baby boys!

Joshua Ryan

Carter Evans

Most of you know that I'm diabetic. It makes having babies a lot more interesting, but luckily I've had really good control throughout all of my pregnancies. (We've received help from above, I know). The difficult parts about diabetes and pregnancy are this: Consistent high blood sugar early in the pregnancy leads to congenital birth defects and high blood sugar late in pregnancy leads to big babies with underdeveloped lungs. Insulin lowers blood sugar. Insulin is a hormone. I probably don't have to explain it, but pregnant women have a lot of hormones going crazy throughout their system, and it makes it harder to keep your blood sugar under control. Also, the placenta kicks out a hormone that is insulin resistant, and it gets stronger the farther along you get. That's why some women get gestational diabetes when pregnant. Anyway, the later in the pregnancy, the more insulin I'm giving. In fact, I usually give 2 to 3 times more insulin than I do when I'm not pregnant. However, this past week and a half, my blood sugar levels have been going a lot lower, and I've actually lowered the amount of insulin I'm giving. The doctor said that's a sign that perhaps the placenta isn't working like it should. Luckily, Landon's moving around a ton, so we know he's okay, but tomorrow I'm going in for an amniocentesis and if his lungs are developed then we'll be induced Tuesday, at 36 weeks 5 days. I've had a few experiences where I got the feeling that we'd be having this baby early, so I'm not as nervous as I might be otherwise. As long as he's okay, we're all excited to have Landon here with us for Christmas. And this means that my mom come out to see him, so she's excited too. It's been fun trying to get everything, or the vital things, ready for this little guy. All I know is that I'll probably get the best Christmas present this year out of all my friends. :)

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Good luck! We'll be praying for you!!

Judy said...

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!

Molly said...

Hope everything goes well Katie. We'll keep you and your family in our prayers! Good luck!

Ben and Anna said...

I'm sure it will all work out the way it needs to! And, at least you made it this far along where he will probably be able to come straight home!

Bianca said...

Good luck! Definitely the best Christmas present!!