Wonder Women

I just thought I'd dedicate a few thoughts to the mothers in my life. I've been thinking of my blessings and of the lessons I've learned and of who I hope to become. From each "mother" I've learned different things....

Great-grandma Marca Porter: Optimism
When I was little I remember going over to Grandma's and Great-grandpa's house, each time with a batch of big delicious sugar cookies awaiting us. I remember her hugs, kisses, and her telling me what a sweet girl I was. She always treated others with kindness and was interested in what others were doing. She is easy going and knows how to have fun. At her 80th birthday party she was prancing around showing off her new glitzy, flashing, plastic ring. She loves where she lives, loves the "hand n foot" card game, has lots of friends, and still laughs.
Grandma Hazel Farnsworth: Blessing others with your talents
Grandma Farnsworth is well known for her knitting and crocheting. She has probably won every award in the Utah State Fair that you can for knitting or crocheting. I always remember being so excited when Grandma would measure me, because that meant she was "up to something..." for me. When Joshua was born, she knit his blessing outfit, and everyone asked where I got it. She has made a goal to make something for the first born of every grandchild, and she has around 25 of us! I don't think I've ever appreciated her gifts as much as when I tried to crochet myself...she truly has talent and shares it with so many.
Grandma Doris Williams: Hard Work
Grandma Williams is the mother of eight kids, and she is one hard worker. She always has something going (I don't think she likes not having something to do) and she always accomplishes things in style. She'll bake ten pies from scratch for a Relief Society conference along with appetizers and snacks. My grandma became a nurse alongside raising her kids. When my mom was younger, she had some kind of activity that she needed a mumu for. Grandma sewed it for her, and when grandma found out a girl in mom's class wouldn't have a mumu, she stayed up all night to make one for her. I have always known her to be like that--busy, but always available to help. I think it's because she prioritizes and puts her nose to the grindstone.

Mother-in-law Linda Allen: Selflessness
Linda is probably the most kind woman I've ever met. She is a people pleaser, always putting others' interests before her own. She learns to like the music her kids listen to (who has heard of a parent doing that before??), she makes prom dresses and will give "discounts" to those who can't quite afford the price, and she wraps each and every Christmas present for her kids. I couldn't ask for a better mother-in-law. If anyone asked her for the world, she would do her best to bargain for it.

Mother Carol Farnsworth: Dependability
If anyone knows my mom, they know she is ultra-organized. I don't think I've ever seen something fall through on her to-do list. She runs at full steam. She gets up at 5:30 am each morning to exercise, puts in a full day at work, cooks dinner when she gets home, cleans the house, serves in her calling...I could go on and on, yet I always knew that we kids were on the top of her to-do list. She always said that when you agree to do something, people should be able to trust that you'll get it done. She pushes herself to get her goals done and uses her time wisely.

I want to tell my "mothers" that I love and admire you. Thanks for the impact you've had (and continue to have) on my life and for the legacy you're leaving for your family to follow.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Katie, I love this post! Moms are awesome.

Blake said...

Ryan,
I am as much a nerd now as I have ever been. I don't know what Kristin was saying when she said I don't look like a fool. I have no shame.
Blake

Kristin said...

Come on Blake, would you really dance the way I do for Owen? I don't think you would. Although you do sing pretty silly songs, I'll give you that. We're having a blog argument. Ha ha.
Katie- Your post was really nice. It made me reflect on the moms in my life, thank you.

Keely Kellett said...

That is awesome that you come from a line of such great women. I also do and I have learned a lot from their examples. I would have to say you are all of the things you listed.

Lacee said...

Awww I love linda too. She is so nice!!