And The Winner Is....


KATIE! So we just got back from our short little vacation to Washington D.C. Over-all it was a pretty nice little vacation. I am glad to report that Katie is officially freaking awesome! She had her mind set that she was going to finish the half-marathon in under 2 hours and 15 minutes. She did just that, finishing at an un-official time of 2 hours and 6 minutes! I couldn't believe it. And what is even more amazing is that when we met her at the finish line she didn't even seem tired. She was hardly sweating, wasn't breathing hard, and seemed like she could've gone another 13 miles. Wonder Woman...


We were also able to see the White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial & Arlington Cemetery. I had already seen the first three, but Arlington I hadn't seen. I was very impressed. There was a sign that mentioned how it was our nation's most sacred memorial. It was very neat to watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier. What wonderful men we have had, and do have, protecting our country.


I'm also glad to report that our GPS is working just fine. We were wondering if it was broken, because as of late it seems to send us in weird directions. On the way to D.C. it kept taking us off the main highway and sending us through little towns and back roads. I think it took us a half hour more than it should've to get down there. On the way back Katie was looking at the settings on it, and found that it was programmed to avoid tolls. Somewhat angry I asked her to change the setting to the fastest route home. It did just that, and it made me feel very dumb in the process. While we got home a few minutes faster, we also incurred about $30 in tolls along the way... You gotta love the East Coast!


According to my mom's "pedometer" (little thing that counts your steps - you know, the kind of toy you get in a cereal box), we walked 11 miles yesterday around D.C.. That means that I pretty much did a half-marathon as well. Not as tough as Katie makes it out to be...

13 comments:

Kristin said...

Way to go Katie! I am jealous of your determination and drive. I wish I could get on the exercise bandwagon. It's hard to get motivated when it's so rainy outside.

Lori said...

congrats katie! your first half marathon is such an awesome achievement. way to go!

(and ryan, btw, walking 11 miles is NOT the same as running 13.2... tee hee hee)

Matt said...

You rock Katie! And what a great time!! Did you like DC? Have you been before? I loved it.

Megan said...

Hold up - Ryan, you wear a pedometer?! Haha - that's great.
Way to go Katie! I am glad you had a good experience with it all. After my 1st half marathon my mom asked me, "Why didn't you just do a whole one?" LAME - her and Ryan both ;)

Ryan said...

No no no no no! I stopped wearing those in high school...or earlier. My mom was with us. Man, dodged a bullet there!

Erika said...

Congrats, Katie. That is a great accomplishment. It looks like you had a blast seeing the site of DC. How fun!

Bianca said...

Woo hoo! Go Katie! you really do rock :D

Lindsey said...

Look at you Katie, I am impressed!

Zach and Erika said...

Nice job katie! Oh, and nice job Ryan and mom, for walking 11 miles around DC. Hope our little Josh is ok!

Erin said...

Wow! You go Katie! Your little guy is getting so big! He is adorable!!

Heidi said...

You are the woman Katie! You motivate me to keep running. Josh is so cute and getting big!

Blake said...

Katie,
Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Tell Ry Guy to get you something nice.

BKC said...

I love Josh's beanie...so cute!!! And way to go Katie!! Hope everything is well with you guys.