Bye-bye binky!

Just thought I should announce that today we officially ended Josh's love affair with his binky.  He's always been a binky boy, and it's actually been really nice for Ryan and me because it's always seemed to calm him down.  When he was around a year, though, old we decided it was time to drop the binky but didn't really do much to make that happen.  We did get to where he would only use it for nap time and bedtime, but being the loving mother I am, there were times I would give it to him when he asked for it during the non-nap/bedtimes....:) Anyway, we wanted to drop it when he entered nursery (at church), but that was around the time we took a loooong road trip to Virginia, and I wasn't about to go on a car trip with out his binky.  Then right after that, Josh got sick, and I don't know about any other parents out there, but that's about the last situation where I would want to take away a comfort item.  Then we went out to Utah for the holidays, and once again we didn't want to be without the binky. 
Now that we're home and adjusted back to New York time, we figured now would be a good time to take care of business.  Today we, or rather I, cut the end of the binky off, like so many wise parents suggested, and when Josh asked for it, we told him it was broken and showed it to him.  I was surprised how hard it was for me to cut it.  Haha, I felt like such a mean parent, like I was cutting up his favorite teddy bear or something.  When he saw it, he was pretty distraught, and kept saying "broken.....fix it", and then looking to me and saying, "help"!  He was basically pleading with us to save his binky, but we sadly had to tell him there was no going back, the binky was gone.  He was sad for a little while, but later had fun playing around with the maimed binky.  At bedtime he asked for it about 72 times, according to Ryan, but once Ryan stopped replying to Josh's pleas and was simply quiet, Josh came to terms and fell asleep, all in about 5 to 10 mins.
I know this is a lengthy post for such an odd topic, but the parents out there who have binky babies will understand how exciting and scary this event truly is.  I know I shouldn't be celebrating yet, since Josh went down only 1.5 hours ago and this is the first night of his separation, but I'll take any small victory we can get.  I'll keep all you eager readers posted on how Josh does through the long haul.  I'm hoping for an easy read...I guess only time will tell. 

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Good for you! So are you going to give this next baby a binky? Do you think it's worth what you have to do to get rid of them? That's really cute how he's asking for you to help him, that's when I would start feeling guilty and probably give him a new one.:) Good work!

Ryan said...

Yeah, we'll give our next one a binky. I'd much rather that than a thumb! We just need to ween them from the binky earlier, like we did with the bottle. He didn't have a hard time at all when we took the bottle away, he was too young to complain.

I did feel like we murdered his favorite pet or something. He was in tears asking for help from us to fix the binky. I felt so horrible that I was near tears. Normally he can count on us to fix everything that is wrong. He was looking at us like we totally let him down. It's all for the best though...

Heidi said...

Unfortunately if your kids decide they want their thumb there is nothing you can do about it!!

Megan said...

I am glad it went so smoothly. I do think it is harder on the parents than the kids. Even after the fact...cause seriously, there have been many long trips in the car when I still wish I had a binky to give Annabelle. Hmmm. I bet there are others' who wish they had one to give to me! haha.

susan said...

The yanking of the binky...always a tough thing to do. He'll get over it in three days.

Any suggestions on weaning Colton from his fingers without having to cut the tips of them?

Carrie said...

Riley stopped wanting his binky at like 3 weeks...we would give it to him, he would look at us, and then shoot it out of his mouth has hard and as fast as he could...what a little stinker! But I am proud of you guys and that is a genius way to get rid of it! If I had a binky problem I would totally do that!

Aleisha said...

I'm dreading that day...the taking of the binky away day. But we're not quite there yet. I'm all for binky's though, we totally agree that it's better then their fingers! (only would a dentist be concerned about the effects of finger sucking on their future bite :) We were so afraid for the longest time that Alaina was going to never give up her fingers but perisistence prevailed after about the millionth time of yankying them out and shoving a binky in.
I just realize we stopped giving her a bottle a few weeks ago and i didn't even mean to do it, she just liked her cup better...hum that was easy..

Susie--I'll tell you what my mom did, my older brother was like 3-4 and would sit and twirl his fingers in his hair (creating a bald spot) and sit and suck his thumb. After trying everything, she finally out of despiration buzzed his head and had the doctor put a cast on his hand. Worked like a charm.

Zach and Erika said...

That is the hardest thing ever! Hopefully it'll be smooth sailings from here on out. Good luck!

Amber said...

Did he love the binky from day 1? Little Korver doesn't really like it but it would be nice if he did to calm hi down at times. Are there certain binky's that he prefered? All we have is the one from the hospital but he doesn't like to keep it in?

Ashley said...

We went through the same thing with our little Ryan, except he had a blanket instead a binky. I was not about to let my kid drag a blanket around everywhere so we took it away pretty early. I was so stressed out about it, and honestly, he could have cared less. Sometimes I think we (parents) become more attached to the comfort item than our kid does. After all, it keeps them happy, quiet and content. So it's really OUR comfort item, too. Right? You didn't know I could be so philosophical did you?!

Anyway, I hope Josh "could care less" as well. Good luck!