Who Says Gas Can Be Dangerous?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? I'm not sure that statement is totally true. Maybe it should be "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or else really paranoid." What brought this on, you might ask?

I think we've all heard a parent tell their child "You're killing me." What percentage of those parents do you think really mean that? My conclusion is .0087%. Don't worry about how I arrived at that number, it involves a very complex algorithm. My point being, 2 days ago I said those words to Josh - and I meant it.

A couple nights ago Katie and I were sitting together reading, when she asked (multiple times) "Ugh, what is that smell?" Being self conscious I scooted over. She seemed to think that it smelled like "an old person's home" - whatever that means... Shortly after we went to bed not thinking anything of it. The next morning I had to get up early to go to school, so I set my alarm for 7:30 - OK, so it wasn't that early...

I don't remember the last time I slept that well, and it was unbelievably hard for me to wake up the next morning. I felt like I could've kept sleeping for... eternity... Judging by the look in Katie's eyes, she was singing kumbaya around my campfire. Josh also slept well that night. He also took a 2.5 hour nap an hour after waking up in the morning. Is anyone connecting the dots? Katie did - at noon.

Come to find out Josh, ever the playful child, found a new toy in the form of our gas stove. We're not even sure how long it was left on, but we're guessing at least 15 hours. We all came to realize that natural gas is a very good sleeping agent. I however, do not support it's use. Trust me on this, Benadryl does the trick just fine. Needless to say, our nightly routine involves a bath for Josh, a drink of milk, brushing our teeth, reading a book, saying our prayers, checking the stove, and then going night night.

Holy crap, are we lucky to be alive. Don't worry Mom, soon we'll have detectors in ALL of our rooms. Hopefully this post will save some lucky reader's life, right?




Here is my random montage as well. Most of the pictures are from our recent trip back to Utah. Josh is the funniest little kid. He now loves to climb up on things, play in the water, make funny faces, play the piano (including turning it on and adjusting the volume as high as it will go), give high 5's, low 5's, high 10's, low 10's, smell flowers, call most everything "ffff" or "ssss", run around, fake laugh to get others to laugh, and as previously mentioned - turn on the gas.

12 comments:

Lori said...

oh i'm sooo glad you guys are okay! does long island have a costco? they sale a pack of Co2 detectors for a relatively inexpensive price. wow. scary stuff!! glad you're okay!!

Heidi said...

How scary!!! I'm so so so so so so so so glad you're okay!!!!! That made me get all teary just thinking about it. Our boys do that as well, sounds like we will be adding that in to our bedtime routine as well.

The Killer Bunch said...

For a very scary situation you described it quite humorously! What an adorable little stinker.

Jordan said...

I am really glad you figured that out!!
Is President Buckner your stake pres? I love that man. He was our director for EFY this week. I may fly out to your stake conference just to hear him speak!

Megan said...

That is seriously scary! Glad nothing serious happened. However, at least you guys are all refreshed from the hours of deep sleep you got from the whole situation, right?

Chelsee said...

Oh dear! I just absolutely love the picture of Josh at the piano. He looks like a pro!

Keely Kellett said...

You guys are so lucky! I am glad nothing happened to you. And weird, but about an hour ago I smelled smoke and looked out the window to see if I could see any fires. Nothing. So I asked Braden if he could smell it and guess what he said-"don't get mad at me." So I run out to the garage and a thing of paper towels was on fire. Chris hadn't put all the camping stuff away properly from going with the scouts and Braden had found the matches. We are so lucky our house didn't burn down. So honestly, we know how you feel!

Zach and Erika said...

Oh my goodness! You'd better not tell mom! That is so scary! My stomach seriously just dropped. I always knew Josh was a little naughty. :)

Megan said...

What shirt? I have no recollection of said 'treasured shirt' and it's driving me nuts that I can't remember.

Matt said...

So Josh likes to play in the water huh? Do you remember when we had a water fight in our apartment back in Salvador? Remember what you did to my pants afterward?
Anyway, I had a visitor in my Sunday school class today from Ogden... I mean North Ogden who was bad mouthing Ben Lomond high. I corrected her and told her that my good friend went there and to knock it off.

I'll have Chelsee get back with Katie about our Thanksgiving plans.

Megan said...

Haha. I forgot about that shirt. I don't know what happened to it. All I remember is you probably bought the cheapest white t-shirt you could find to make it because it was completely see through so it wasn't worn often. What things made up the list - do you even remember? I am thinking 'Roswell' must have been involved...or was it a list your fave things so it was 'Ed'?

Millers said...

I am glad you didn't need to light a match for anything. I can't believe how fast josh is growing and it is sad we are missing it. You should just get done with school soon and come back home.