Can you say disappointment??

Last night I wasted 5 hours of prime studying time in order to attend New York's famous Village Halloween Parade. Basically, over 50,000 people dress up in costumes and march down 6th Avenue from Spring Street to 21st street (something like that). Word is that over 2,000,000 people show up annually to watch the people walking down the street in their various get-ups. Seeing as how Katie and Josh have been in Utah for about a week, I figured I might as well hang out in the city for the night. Let me just say something to all of you that have been planning trips centered around this parade: don't bother.

I, along with my classmates that were with me, decided that it wasn't really worth our time. First of all, the streets were lined about 10 rows deep of people trying to see the show. Being on the 7th row of people made it a little difficult to see anything. The first 2 minutes of the parade were pretty cool. There were large skeletons and things of that nature that were impressive. I've posted a picture of them (I took some with my phone but they didn't really turn out to well, so I snagged these ones off the internet. I did, however, actually see these things.).

I came to the conclusion that the parade was mostly a chance for some of New York's amazing citizens to cross-dress. I would guess that 40% of the guys in the parade were actually in women's clothing. Even the guys who didn't dress in women's clothes found ways to express themselves in a similar fashion. For example, there was a guy dressed as a bumblebee. He ran around prancing, and saying in a high pitched voice "Buzzz, Buzzz!" It actually was pretty funny. Then I looked and saw that he was in high heels, and I just had to roll my eyes.

There were some pretty funny costumes though. Let's see what I can remember: Jim Halpert as a 3-hole punch, Mario & Princess, The lady from The Ring coming out of a TV screen, the Little Green Giant, Anna Nicole Smith, Strong Bad, Michael Jackson, BeetleJuice, The Burger-King King, Catwoman, a drinking cup, a giant leaf, plenty of beer bottles, KISS, Clifford the great big dog, and plenty of superheroes, nurses, maids, police & any other inappropriate and shameful costume you can imagine.

Probably won't be attending next year though...

5 comments:

Mr. Belvedeere said...

I'm still shocked at seeing more dudes dressed inappropriately than chicks....if the gays take another holiday I'll go crazy....

Rustino Scar said...

don't lie Mr. Belvedeere, you know you couldn't even keep your eyes off that bumble bee guy that was running around. I believe that I remember hearing you say that you couldn't wait to join in on the gay affair next year. correct me if I'm wrong

Rustino Scar said...

oh, and Ryan, you were on the 7th row. I was on the 8th row...and happen to be about 4 inches shorter than you...I guess you should have thought about that when you were complaining about life.

Ryan said...

I was in front of you and to the left. I was pretty much blocking people from sneaking in front of you and pushing you back to the 10th row. Be grateful...

Taralee said...

So, I don't know you and you don't know me, but we know my brosif Rustin. I just wanted to say that Josh is so freakin cute...and from the previous post, very talented.
I've tried to get my kid to play hungry hippos or Hi-Ho Cherry-O, but he prefers stratagy games such as Sequence, Minopolly (or however you spell it), and Phase 10.
Anywho...kids are the coolest.